hypercorrection/grammatical evolution (was: murky days)

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Thu Mar 28 16:54:13 UTC 2002

Yes, but might hypercorrection lead to syntactic reanalysis?  Perhaps this
will evolve so that all relative 'who's become 'whom's, for example.  (Just
like the plural form seems to be evolving to apostrophe-s, but we've been
down that road enough times...)

Then there's the old favorite "...and I", never "...and me" in my mother's
variety (which seems like a decent argument for Construction Grammar).  It
sort of brings into question the idea of 'impossible lexical items'.  Was
it Jim McCawley who used the example of "my uncle and" as an impossible
lexical item?  So "X and" is an impossible lexical item, but we've got
definite examples of (phrasal) lexical items of the form "and X" ("and I",
"and so forth", "et cetera")--which I suppose has to do with English being
a head-initial language?

Just musing, if not amusing,
Lynne

--On Thursday, March 28, 2002 11:40 am -0500 Drew Danielson
<andrew.danielson at CMU.EDU> wrote:

> It sounds more like hypercorrection to me.  It would be interesting to
> be able to track the WHOM-misuser's WHO/WHOM usage across time and
> context....
>

> "Peter A. McGraw" wrote:
>>
>> "Whom" in this context (subject of a subordinate clause which itself is
>> the object of a preposition or the main-clause verb) is suddenly running
>> rampant.  I hear it so often (especially from academics and journalists,
>> it seems) that I wonder if a syntactic reanalysis of some sort is
>> actually taking root.
>>
>> Peter Mc.
>>
>> --On Thursday, March 28, 2002 7:35 AM -0500 "Dennis R. Preston"

>> > dInIs

>> > --
>> > Dennis R. Preston
>> > Department of Linguistics and Languages
>> > Michigan State University
>> > East Lansing MI 48824-1027 USA
>> > preston at pilot.msu.edu
>> > Office: (517)353-0740
>> > Fax: (517)432-2736

>> **** Peter A. McGraw
>>                    Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
>>                             pmcgraw at linfield.edu
>
> --
> ???????????????????????????????????????????????
> ?          D r e w  D a n i e l s o n         ?
> ?          <andrew.danielson at cmu.edu>         ?
> ? Admin for Krogh, Gabriel, Fedder & Rajkumar ?
> ? Carnegie Mellon University ? ECE Department ?
> ? 5000 Forbes Avenue  ?  Pittsburgh, PA 15213 ?
> ? +1 412 268-2188 Voice ? +1 412 268-3890 Fax ?
> ?        http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~dmunk        ?
> ???????????????????????????????????????????????
>  If everyone would sweep in front of their
>  own door, the whole world would be clean.
>                      -- Middle Eastern proverb

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
Acting Director, MA in Applied Linguistics
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH
UK

phone +44-(0)1273-678844