regional food

A. Maberry maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Thu Mar 28 19:01:38 UTC 2002

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, James A. Landau wrote:

> "blackened" and possibly other terms from Cajun cuisine, which may have
> become widespread in the last 20 years

Was this invented by Paul Prudhomme or did he just popularize it?

> Now for some local food items:
> on the island next south from Atlantic City).  Also a type of popcorn called
> "kettle corn", but my daughter can't remember what's in it.

I've seen this recently in Washington (last 3 or 4 years, I guess) as a
franchise business.

> a traveling carnival (I'm not sure of the name, but it may be G. S. Cole
> Shows) has a refreshment stand which sells a "blooming onion", which is a way
> of quick-frying an entire onion.  The top of the onion is cut into a petal
> shape, hence "blooming", but I haven't been to that carnival in years and
> don't remember anything else about the dish.

At some point within the last 5-6 years, I saw a TV add for a product
called an "onion bloomer" which allowed one to cut a onion correctly so
that it could be deep fried into a "blooming onion".
Haven't heard the term recently, however.

allen
maberry at u.washington.edu