regional food

Kathleen E. Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Thu Mar 28 19:51:23 UTC 2002

Kettle Corn is widespread - county fair type food - now available from your
microwave. I've found it in NJ - VA -TX and IN, but my parents (both 63 and
from NJ) had never heard of it until I brought some home last summer.
Bought it from a native American in a little tent right in front of the
H.E.B (that's a grocery store) in Georgetown, TX. Have a friend from MA
who'd never heard of it either. It's made in a big black kettle and I think
all that's different about it is that it's sugared instead of salted. Very
addictive stuff.

Blooming Onion, I remember in the early 1990's, while I was in college in
TX, Chili's and Outback Steakhouse were in a legal battle over the
"blooming onion." Outback still calls their's that - making me think that
Chili's must have lost that battle. (BTW - I was given one of those
blooming onion machines for Christmas about four years back. Think it's
simply called the "onion machine." It's still like-new -in the never-opened
box - so I can easily check it out).

Katy Miller
NY Times