murky days on the WHO/WHOM front

Thu Mar 28 23:58:45 UTC 2002

I think we've mentioned before that an intervening clause like "I think"
seems to trigger 'whom' even more, with the /m/ serving as liaison with the
following vowel.  I've heard "whomever" even more in subject position,
whether following a prep. or not (and the /m/ may serve as liaison for some
people here too).  Is the reanalysis in part morphophonemic, perhaps?  If
so, I would expect "Regardless of whom is blamed."