Kimono (1663?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 29 05:56:51 UTC 2002

TRAVELS OF MENDES PINTO
FERNAO MENDES PINTO (d. 1583--ed.)
edited and translated by Rebecca Catz
Univerisyt of Chicago Press, Chicago
1989

   Kimono?  OED has 1886 (Japanese).
   That's the biggest surprise when I read the entire text (not just the glossary and footnotes).  The translator used other terms, such as "yak," but at least she admitted that the word in the text was _bada_ (not "yak")...Food terms weren't described in detail.
   I'll check the 1663 translation at the NYPL on Saturday for a Chinese "kimono."

Pg. 254 (Chapter 122):  He was dressed in a purple kimono, somewhat like a surplice, embroidered with pearls...

Pg. 339 (Chapter 159):  ...went fishing for trout, _bogas_, _bordalos_, sole, _arevia_, mullet, and other different varieties of fish that are found in all the rivers of this empire.
(OED has none of the fish in italics.  The translator gives no footnotes!--ed.)

Pg. 550, note 2 to Chapter 18:  ...kaffir...
(1663?--ed.)