Pfannkuchen (1867)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 30 20:43:09 UTC 2002

PICTURES IN TYROL AND ELSEWHERE.
FROM A FAMILY SKETCH-BOOK.
(Elizabeth Tuckett is added in pencil--ed.)
London: Longmans, Green, and Co.
1867

Pg. 21:
   For the next few days we lived upon veal, eggs, and milk, unmitigated _Kalbsfleisch_, and eggs boiled and fried, in _Omletten_ and _Pfannkuchen_, and _Meltspeise_, the dinners being served for the most part in a most primative manner, the supple of knives and forks, and clean plates, being very limited.  A north-easter is a famous _sauce piquante_, and so we lived and flourished and enjoyed our calf, though it was not a fatted one.

(OED had 1877 for "Pfannkuchen"--ed.)