" buttlegging", "buttlegger"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 31 18:44:00 UTC 2002

At 11:22 PM -0500 3/30/02, James A. Landau wrote:
>An article on the recent rise of cigarette taxes in New Jersey referred to
>cigarette smuggling as "buttlegging".  This one is so obvious that it can't
>be brand new, but I never heard it before.  Cigarette smuggling (that is,
>bringing cigarettes from a state with low state taxes on cigarettes into one
>with high taxes) has been around for years---I had my car searched by the New
>Jersey State Police back in December 1973 on suspicion of cigarette smuggling.

Earliest Nexis cite is from a 1977 Info. Bank Abstract, but there
might have been earlier ones missed; this seems to presuppose the
term is familiar:

MIAMI HERALD
July 4, 1977, Monday

  SECTION: Page 1, Column 6

  BYLINE: BY TOM FIEDLER
  ABSTRACT:
  Fla law enforcement and tax officials expect 4-cent cigarette tax
hike to increase state's vulnerability to organized crime, noting
state already has lucrative cigarette bootlegging mkt, with highest
cigarette taxes in southeastern US. Fear consequential rise in other
organized crime operations, claiming 'buttlegging' has reached
epidemic proportions. Note contrast in tax levels between
tobacco-belt and northern indus states creates mktg vacuum for
untaxed cigarettes. Fla officials note biggest problem is consumer
who feels smuggler is 'doing him a favor'. Interstate Revenue
Research Center repts Mafia links with Fla and N Carolina wholesale
cigarette distributors. Fla Beverage and Tobacco Division Dir Charles
Nuzum estimates $45 million in annual revenues is lost to
'buttleggers'.,,

There's also a slightly earlier one for 'buttlegger(s)' from the
Times.  Note the telltale phrase "as cigarette smugglers are known".
It is a natural enough blend, as you say; neither of these is in
RHHDAS; perhaps they're not considered to be in the "slang" register?

NEW YORK TIMES
December 31, 1976, Friday

  SECTION: Section 2; Page 13, Column 5

  BYLINE: BY MARTIN WALDRON
  ABSTRACT:
  NJ police and tax agents have confiscated 96,521 cartons of untaxed
cigarettes smuggled from NC and Va in '76. Acting State Treas
Clifford A Goldman estimates NJ lost $16-million in '76 to
'buttleggers'. As cigarette smugglers are known. Says State Tax Div
intends to crack down on smuggling in '77

--larry