Pumpernickel (1756); Mish-Mash, Antipasto (1617)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed May 1 08:04:22 UTC 2002

PUMPERNICKEL

THE GRAND TOUR
by Mr. (Thomas--ed.) NugentThe second edition
London: D. Browne
1756

VOLUME TWO
Pg. 80:  The people of the country call it _Pompernickel_ (OED STOPS HERE!!--ed.), which is only a corruption of a _French_ name given it by a gentleman of that nation, who passed through this country.  It is reported, that when this coarse bread was brought to table, hye looked at it and said, _Qu'il etoit bon pour_ Nickel, _That it was good for_ Nickel, which was the name of his horse.  Those, however, who are used to it, are strong and robust...

MISH-MASH

AN ITINERARY
by Fynes Moryson
1617
In Three Volumes
(Early English Books Online)

VOLUME ONE
Pg. 143:  ...for his supper at an Ordinarie (vulgarly called _Al pasta_)(?--ed.), having almost nothing but red Herrings and Sallets to supper.

Pg. ?:  ...antipasto...
(Probably soon after screen 85 on EEBO.  I'M SICK, AND I CAN'T KEEP MY EYES OPEN!--ed.)

Pg. 245:  ...here our Muccaro bought for us, sower curds (vulgarly called _Mish Mash_)...

VOLUME THREE
Pg. 45:  ...Gypse...