What's in your silo?

Wed May 8 19:55:31 UTC 2002

Well, back in the day (i.e., my day, the 1940s and '50s), farmers in
Minnesota stored grain in granaries and silage in silos.  But I don't think
we used the term 'fodder' much and certainly not 'forage'.  Silage was
chopped up and semi-fermented cornstalks, with maybe other leftover stuff
mixed in?  (It was a long time ago, so someone correct or augment me.)  It
would mash down and heat up in the sun-warmed concrete silo, so that a
sweet-and-sour flavor and odor would develop (rather like sour mash, and
very pleasant to smell).  It was also very nutritious for cows in the
winter, when many were "dry" (i.e., pregnant).  Hay, straw, and alfalfa
were stored in the barn, and grain was stored dry (accidental fermentation
led to spoilage) in separate buildings called granaries.  Dry corn on cobs
was stored in corncribs, with open slats for airing and drying (like
cribs).  Ah, the memories. . . .