Sushi, Sashimi, Yakitori, Teriyaki, Tempura, Tofu (1914)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu May 9 21:04:06 UTC 2002

TERRY'S JAPANESE EMPIRE
INCLUDING KOREA AND FORMOSA
by T. Philip Terry
Boston and New York: Houghton Mifflin Company
1914

   I have only about seven minutes, and this book has several valuable pages of stuff I'll try to photocopy, which I probably can't.

Pg. 725 (KOREA):  Among the dishes dear to the native heart are pounded capsicum, bean curd, various sauces of abominable odors, a species of sour kraut (_kimshi_), seaweed, salt fish, and salted seaweed fried in batter.  "Hot dog" in the literal sense is the _piece de resistance_ of the Korean menu.

Pg. XLII:  _Japanese Food_ (_tabemono_)...

Pg. XLIII:
   The soy-bean (_daizu_; _omame_)...
   ..._shoyu_ (_sho_, soy; _yu_, oil)...
   ...and a spongy, saffron-yellow cake, which they named _kasutera_ (pron. _kas-teh-rah_), from Castile.

Pg. XLV:
   _Chicken_ (_tori_).  _Iri-tori_: chicken boiled and served with vegetable-oil.--_Yaki-tori_: roast chicken.--_Tori-nabe_: chicken stewed in a kettle or fried in a pan.

   _Fish_ (_sakana_).  _Ni-zakana_: coooked or boiled fish.--_Suimono_: fish soup.--_Shioyaki_: fish salted, then baked.  _Teriyaki_: fish in a sauce of soy, _mirin_, and sugar.  _Su-no-mono_: shell-fish (or other raw fish) eaten with vinegar.--_Arai_: raw fish washed in cold water or chilled with ice.--_Namasu_: the same served with vinegar and cold stewed vegetables.--_Sashimi_: raw fish cut in thin slices and eaten after being dipped in _shoyu_.--_Kabayaki_: fish which is first steamed then dipped into soy and roasted...

GOTTA GO!