FW: Same sound, opposite meaning

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri May 10 14:30:51 UTC 2002

At 9:59 AM -0400 5/10/02, Robert Fitzke wrote:
>The problem is that "in sloppyXXXXXX common present use it refers to oral
>language only, explicitly opposed to written." is not true. Dictionaries
>give both meanings and I regularly see the word used both ways and in
>contexts in which one can only guess which meaning is intended.

give Jesse's, Bob's, and other posters' comments on this thread,
we're dealing here not with enantiosemy or Janus words but with
autohyponymy (as with "lion", "drink", "day",...--each of which may
exclude or include its co-hyponym "lioness", "non-alcoholic
beverage", "night",...).
Schematically,

     /     \
   A     B