Gorditas (little fat ones of the Virgin)(1909)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 13 07:50:44 UTC 2002

TERRY'S MEXICO
HANDBOOK FOR TRAVELLERS
by T. Philip Terry
Second Edition Revised
Boston and New York: Houghton Mifflin Company
1911

   It's surely in the first edition (1909).  Terry's added stuff, such as
Page 97g, in revisions.  The copyright on this book is 1909.

Pg. 393 (Guadalupe):
   These stands are notable for a kind of small biscuit (_biscocho_) called
_Gorditas de la Virgen_ (little fat ones of the Virgin), made of _maiz de
Cacahuazintla_ (a large-grained corn resembling horses'-teeth) from the
valleys of _Toluca_ and _Tulancingo_.  The _gorditas_ sell at two for one
_centavo_, and the hungry Indians eat them in amazing quantities.
("Gordito" should be familiar to anyone who has been in a Taco Bell, yet the
term is not in OED or M-W.  John Mariani cites a book from 1936, but gives no
other date.  Further research into Guadalupe--MOA database?--will probably
turn up earlier cites--ed.)

Pg. 443:  The ahuacate, or butter-nut (_Persea gratissima_), is one of the
most popular of the Mexican fruits; it often takes the place of butter, and
of it the natives make a delectable salad.  Sailors to tropic climes know
this products as "Midshipman's butter."

Pg. 456:  This region is also renowned for the production of chocolate,
quince-wine and a delicious sweet made from the fruit of guava and called
_guayabate_.  A similar sweet, made from quince and called _membrillate_, is
shipped to many parts of the Repub.
(The revised OED has 1920 for "membrillo."  We beat it again.  OED does not
have "guayabate," which is no relation to Frank Abate--ed.)

Pg. 494:  ...the train is met at the station by a score or more Indian women
with peaches, pomegranates, avocado-pears, tamales, tortillas, and confits
for sale.
(No "tacos," as sold at the train in the 1920s?--ed.)

TERRY'S GUIDE TO MEXICO
by T. Philip Terry
Revised Edition
Boston and New York: Houghton Mifflin Company
1935

   The copyrights on the book read "1909, 1922, 1927, and 1935."  I know that
this food supplement (which contains "taco") is NOT in 1909, but IS in 1927,
which I couldn't copy at the NYPL.  I haven't requested the 1922 edition yet
to see if it's there.

Pg. 244c:
   _Mexican-Spanish Dishes, Drinks, Fruits, Vegetables, Etc._
ALBONDIGA...
ALUBIAS...
ARROZ A LA VALENCIA...
ATOLE...
BACALAO A LA VIZCAINA...
CHALUPAS; corncakes with turned-up edges and containing hashed meat, chile
and beans.
CHAMPURADO...
(Pg. 244d--ed.)
CHAYACANES...
CHAYOTES RELLENOS...
CHILE...
CHILACAYOTE...
CHILAQUILES...
CHILPOCHLE...
CHILE CON CARNE...
EMPANADA...
ENCHILADAS...
FRIJOLES...
FRIJOLES REFRITOS...
GARNACHAS and SOPES...
MOLE...
CHIMOLE...
CLEMOLE...
CHILMOLE...
GUACAMOLE is avocado (or alligator pear, or _aguacate_, the _ahuacatl_ of the
Aztecs), ripe tomato, onion, and small green chiles ground or mashed,
seasoned with salt, olive oil and vinegar, garnished with lettuce leaves, and
served as a salad or sauce.
MOLE DE PAVO...
OLLA CATALANA...
PAMBACITOS...
PINOLE...
POSOLE...
PUCHERO...
QUESADILLAS are tortillas filled with various bits of meat and vegetables and
fried in lard.
SALPICON DE RES...
TACOS are fried turnovers filled with highly seasoned meat.
(Pg. 244e--ed.)
TACOS DE BARBACOA contain barbecued meat and green chile sauce, and are fried
in deep lard, then covered with _aguacate_ sauce and grated cheese.
TINGA...
TAMALES...
TAMALES DE MUERTO...
TAMALES ESTILO DE OAXACA...
TORTAS COMPUESTAS...
TORTILLAS...
TOTOLTEMOLLI...
TOTOPO is a very thin tortilla toasted then fried.
(No burrito?--ed.)
(Pg. 224f--ed.)
_Eggs_... _Rancheros_ are eggs in country style, fried with tomato and chile.
 Hot but good.
_Drinks_... Pop, _bebida gaseosa_.

MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO (SOVIET) GEORGIA

   I'll be in Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan from later tonight untill May 29.
Someone wanted an update on my ADS-L vacations:

1997:  Holland, Belgium; Morocco,Tunisia.  Lecture in Toronto, Canada.
1998:  Guatemala, Honduras; Jordan & Syria; Peru, Bolivia; Cyprus; Argentina,
Chile, Easter Island.
1999:  India, Nepal; Turkey; Mexico; South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe,
Botswana, Swaziland; Switzerland & Liechtenstein; Cambodia & Vietnam.  Stops
in Singapore and Hong Kong.  San Francisco for DSNA.
2000:  Norway, Sweden, Denmark; Portugal, Spain; Japan; Czech Republic,
Slovak Republic; Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria; Australia.  Stops in Detroit,
Pittsburgh, Chicago and Madison, Wisconsin (for Fred Cassidy).
2001:  Belize, Costa Rica; Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan,
Kazakstan; Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Russia; Iceland, Greenland, Denmark;
Poland; Ecuador, Gallapagos Islands; Cuba, Bahamas.  Stops in Frankfurt and
Florida.  Trip to Texas after cancelled trip to Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan,
Iran.
2002: New Zealand, Hawaii; Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan (May); Alaska cruise
(June-July).