"without spoon"

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Wed May 15 16:02:08 UTC 2002

Drew Danielson wrote:
>"James A. Landau" wrote:
>>  This is a type of spoon, typically tablespoon-sized, with a few
>>holes cut in it so that you can dredge solid objects (e.g. ice
>>cubes, dumplings) out of liquid and let the liquid picked up by the
>>spoon drain out.
>>  The only name I know for this implement is "without spoon".  I
>>heard this name from a woman born about 1945 and raised in the
>>Muskegon Michigan area.  She implied that "without spoon" was a
>>term used in her family, and did not know if it was a widely-used
>>       - James A. Landau
>>  P.S.  This is the only usage I know of in which "without" is not a
>How about 'slotted spoon'?

That's what came to my mind as well. I don't know whether that's a
term that my mother (and her mother before her) used in the kitchen
or whether I picked it up from cookbooks.

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963

More information about the Ads-l mailing list