..WSJ article on invented words..

GSCole gscole at ARK.SHIP.EDU
Wed May 15 21:18:18 UTC 2002

The Wall Street Journal of 15 May 2002, on p.B1, has an article that
discusses the use of invented words in the New Economy.  The title of
the article, in a Cubicle Culture column by Suein L. Hwang, is It Was a
WOMBAT for the Meatware, But It Was a Good Sell.

The article begins with the sentence "Invented words, invented
reality".  Naomi Baron, linguistics professor at American University is
quoted with the statement:  "If I'm paying big bucks, I'll go with the
person saying a lot of mumbo jumbo, because I'll assume that person
knows more."

The article suggests that a glimpse "at this dreamworld of corporate
babble" can be found at Worldcom's web site, in "a glossary of
'essential terms and phrases'", including wugga wugga.

My search of Worldcom's site found references to a Jargon Watch section,
but the links appeared to be redirects to a general site introduction
page.

http://www1.worldcom.com/us/resources/glossary/

George Cole
Shippensburg University