On The Hoke

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Tue May 21 15:40:14 UTC 2002

Thanks. That's what I guessed it meant, but I wanted to check if anyone had
anything more authoritative.

I don't have the phrase in context (which is part of the problem). I found
it in an old issue of American Speech, which in turn had culled it from a
1953 newspaper article. I suspect it may be a very local or one-off usage.