He's our bastard; Totalizator

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu May 23 18:54:35 UTC 2002

   Greetings from Yerevan, Armenia.  My tour guide said that Armenia is a "mounTAINeous" country..."Mr. Pig," a "NY Deli Restaurant" in Yerevan, sells something called a "bagle."

HE'S OUR BASTARD--A few days ago, I was in Gori, Georgia.  I saw the Stalin Museum, the Stalin statue in the town square, and the Stalin statue and portrait in the train station.  My tour guide said: "He may be a bastard, but he's our bastard."  A quick web check shows that most hits attribute this quote to Harry S Truman, speaking about Anastasio Somoza.

TOTALIZATOR--Used in horseracing and seen several places.  Is it a word or a brand name?  From the French "totalisateur"?

MOSCOWSKY SALAD--tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, sour cream.  (Served at the Marco Polo restaurant here, but tomato-cucumber salads seem to be the norm in these parts.)