What is there, what is not

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat May 25 16:23:46 UTC 2002

   So I said to this tour guide, does the term "ABC tour" mean anything to you?

WHAT IS THERE, WHAT IS NOT--Armenian for "whazzup?"  My tour guide told the story/fiction of a computer that could answer any question--until the Armenian approached with "What is there, what is not?" and crashed the thing.

BOZ--a bad woman.  Literally, a blonde.  Western Armenian ("Turkish") slang.

   From the English language menu at the restaurant I ate at tonight (Thankfully, without the dancing and singing sixteen-year-olds.  Imagine an off-key "I wanna run to you, oooooh."  Ouch.):

FIRM DISHES
Dzori Hatz--bread, cheese, seasoning
Dzori Hatz Brdech--spinach, tongue, mushrooms, onion, seasoning
Gorovi--lamb, cereals--in the stove

SOUPS
Spas (Yogurt soup)--yogurt, sour cream, cereals, butter
Mutton Soup Piti--lamb, green beans, onion, prunes, seasoning

SALADS
Yerevanian--tomatoes, cucumbers, pepper, onion, greens
   (This salad is all over the Caucasus, but not with any particular name--ed.)
Metropolitan--potatoes, carrots, green peas, beef, greens, seasoning
Cake-salad--potatoes, beef, carrot, eggs, pickled cucumber, sour-cream

BEEF DISHES
Tava-Kyufta
Kyufta  ("Kiufta" on the menu I gave yesterday--ed.)
Khashlama
Tgygick--heart, liver, butter, onion, flavor
   (This is the "tzhvzhik" I mentioned yesterday.  I think, order two and spell it "tzhvzhicks."  My tour guide said it's a word meant to imitate the sound of the "sizzle"--ed.)
Summer Tolma ("Dolma."  Two dolmas are popular here--ed.)
Ker & Sus--potatoes, beef, onion, tomato, sour cream, pickles, green peas

LAMB DISHES
Gorovi--lamb, cereals--in the stove
Tgygick--lamb (liver, heart), onion, tomatoes, sour cream
Ikibis--lamb, fat
Uzbek Plov--rice, lamb, carrot, onion, garlic
Musa-Ler--lamb, potatoes, onions, flavor

POULTRY
Chakhobili--chicken, onion, butter, tomato paste, garlic
Julienne--mushrooms, chicken meat, onion, flour, butter, Dutch cheese, sour cream

BREAD
Lavash  (Served everywhere and MUST be in OED, if "tortilla" is--ed.)

SWEETS & FRUITS
Rafaello