Squat -- revisited

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue May 28 04:30:36 UTC 2002

I'm sure that Larry, as the leading guru of negation, will jump on this,
but it's worth noting that Rick's source does not contain "I have squat",
but rather "Nobody else got squat", so there clearly IS a negative in the
sentence. Because the sentence begins with an indefinite, the negative is
attracted to it, rather than winding up in the verb phrase as "not". (Cf.
"John/Those guys didN'T get squat", vs the ungrammatical "*Everybody
didn't get squat". Everybody did NOT get --> Nobody got .)

        Rudy