Squat - revisited

Tue May 28 11:52:28 UTC 2002

In my speech "squat" also means simply nothing, a rather obvious
extension of the "worthless" sense of "shit."

I went fishing and got shit/squat = nothing
I went fishing and got shit/squat = nothing worth catching/keeping

In fact, for me, the "nothing" reading is stronger for "squat."

dInIs

PS: For regional idiomatic speech freaks, in the Ohio Valley (S IN, S
IL, N KY region) we also got "what the little boy shot at" when we
got nothing. Is this more widespread?

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages