Squat - revisited

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Wed May 29 13:35:56 UTC 2002

In a message dated Wed, 29 May 2002  7:59:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time, preston at PILOT.MSU.EDU writes:

> Nice to know y'all Kentucky corn-crackers kin still hit a squirrel
> tween the eyes with a .22.
>
> dInIs

Now for a serious question: is it just me, or do others on this list find it jarring to hear "y'all" followed by an appositive, i.e. "y'all Kentucky corn-crackers kin"?

      - James A. Landau

P.S.  Yes, I am resolving the grammatical ambiguity in the message by construing "kin" as "relatives of the corn-crackers" rather than as a misspelling of the auxiliary verb "can".