"toke the wild hair" -- Query

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu May 30 20:31:38 UTC 2002

     I've received a query about the expression "toke the wild hair"
and have no idea about its origin or even whether the spelling is
correct. I'm also unclear about its meaning.  Would anyone be
familiar with this?  The two messages appear under my signoff.

Gerald Cohen

(message #1; query)
>An acquaintance who collaborates with me on our family's genealogy,
>has written for about the third time and used the expression "toke
>the wild hair."  Her life has been spent in Louisiana and Texas.
>>From the context she used it - I would guess it means that she
>dropped what she was doing to go off on a tangent to do something
>she wanted to do, away from her ordinary responsibilities.  Never
>heard it elsewhere.  Does it refer to "took the wild hare" by
>chance?  ...

(message #2, responding to my request for more information):