Amush

Michael Quinion editor at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Fri May 31 14:31:27 UTC 2002

> In both of the above "amush" is a typo for "ambush".

That would certainly fit the contexts, as it would in about a dozen
other examples I've found. (Incidentally, that raises the question
why this particular typo is so common: do some people actually say
the word 'ambush' without the 'b'?) In one or two other cases, it is
clearly derived from 'a-' plus 'mush'. My subscriber's friend felt,
though, presumably from having met it before, that it is a slang term.

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words