dialect change?

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Nov 1 09:35:51 UTC 2002

Is this phenomenom related in any way to, for example, how many white
contestants on 'American Idol' adopt the "black sound" when they
sing, yet do not "talk black" when interviewed?

--- Duane Campbell <dcamp911 at JUNO.COM> wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:27:53 -0500 joshua <nerd_core at EXCITE.COM>
> writes:
>
> > when people sing, they pronounce words differently (they drop
> > consonants, substitute phonemes, etc.)  doing this isn't
> technically
> > a dialect change, so what would we call it?
>
> Not directly on point, but related.
>
> Back in the 50s and 60s, Fred Waring (actually it was probably Roy
> Ringwald, his arranger) developed a phonetic notation for lyrics
> for
> choral music. All the published Fred Waring sheet music had the
> regular
> lyrics, but printed below them was a phonetic version.
>
> Anyway, if it is a dialect, it has a formal written form.

=====
Margaret G. Lee, Ph.D.
Associate Professor - English and Linguistics
 & University Editor
Department of English
Hampton University, Hampton, VA 23668
(757)727-5769(voice);(757)727-5084(fax);(757)851-5773(home)
e-mail: margaret.lee at hamptonu.edu   or   mlee303 at yahoo.com