FW: dialect change?

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Fri Nov 1 20:03:20 UTC 2002

The classic article on early Brit imitation of American music, and esp. of
black singers more than Elvis, is Peter Trudgill's "Acts of Conflicting
Identity: The Sociolinguistics of British Pop-song Pronunciation," in his
book _On Dialect: Social and Geographical Perspectives_ (NYU Press,
1983).  They'd try to be r-ful, for example, and to use /AE/ in words where
"standard" Br Eng wouldn't, etc.  It wasn't so much the U.S. market though
as it was their idolizing of American pop singers, as I understand it.  But
yes, they became more "English" as time went on and they established their
own identity.