night before Halloween

Dodi Schultz SCHULTZ at COMPUSERVE.COM
Fri Nov 1 23:32:19 UTC 2002

Ed Keer, who I believe also said he was a native of southeastern PA,
explains the difference:

  >> We celebrated both eves. Mischief night (the 30th) was for going out
and
  >> soaping windows, TPing houses, throwing eggs, etc. None of this was
  >> done in costume. Halloween (the 31st) was for trick-or-treating, in
  >> costume.

Exactly. The locally named "Tick-Tack Night" (I explained the term earlier)
was also a time for soaping windows, etc., as Ed says. (Extremely rowdy
kids would occasionally turn over a garbage can.)

--Dodi Schultz