dialect change?

Christi Mullen cdmull01 at MOREHEAD-ST.EDU
Sun Nov 3 19:56:32 UTC 2002

Quoting Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIOU.EDU>:

> Yes, see my reference to Trudgill, in an earlier note.  The same surely
> applies here.  And Elvis did it too, didn't he?
>
> At 01:35 AM 11/1/2002 -0800, you wrote:
> >Is this phenomenon related in any way to, for example, how many white
> >contestants on 'American Idol' adopt the "black sound" when they
> >sing, yet do not "talk black" when interviewed?
> >

> >--- Duane Campbell <dcamp911 at JUNO.COM> wrote:

> > > technically
> > >From cdmull01 at morehead-st.edu
I don't think this has anything to do with dialect change, I think it's more
of a cluster reduction issue, I'm not really sure but anyway...Where does the
word "daburnit" come from?  In case you're not readily familiar with it, the
context in which it is used is like "Oh, shit."  "Oh, daburnit." Sometimes
people will say "that daburn thing." It's negative.  Like, "that goshdarn
thing."  Thank you.