cheese out

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Nov 4 20:18:25 UTC 2002

At 11:51 AM -0600 11/3/02, Gordon, Matthew J. wrote:
>I heard a wonderful new (to me) usage on the  _This American Life_
>radio program. I don't remember it verbatim but it was something
>like:
>"That cheeses me out."
>The reference was to patriotic music and the speaker's meaning was
>that she found it cheesy. The speaker was a Texan but I doubt this
>is a regionalism. It seems a natural extension of the pattern
>established by 'freak' and 'weird' + 'out', which I think we
>discussed some months ago.

Looking at a few "cheese(s) me out" from the web, it doesn't seem as
though "cheesy" is involved.  Instead, it's looks more like a blend
of "cheese off" with the "X out" pattern.  There are a (larger) bunch
of "X pisses me out" that seem identical.  (I'm also curious about
where the "cheese" in "cheese off" comes from.  Haven't checked
RHHDAS yet.)

Larry