Dutch Treat (1885); Kielbasa & Serdelki (1932)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 6 07:55:46 UTC 2002

DUTCH TREAT (continued)

   I should add that that "Dutch Treat" citation is also on the MOA-Cornell
database.
   It appears that I haven't posted this NEW YORK TIMES citation.  It's a
little earlier, although the later citation talks about an earlier period, at
the start of the Civil War.

   18 March 1877, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 6:
   The expense of any kind of feast, it is supposed, must be borne by some on
person.  It is true that there are ways by means of which this sentiment may
be got around.  But a certain sordid character still hangs to that
transaction, which has been dubbed a "Dutch treat."

KIELBASA & SERDELKI

   Moving from Dutch to Polish.

   May 1932, NORTH AMERICAN REVIEW, "A Polish-American Retrospect," pg. 450:
   But there were, besides rabbit, chicken, duck, beef, lamb, sausages
(_kielbasa_, _serdelki_)...
(...)
   ...and most of all, sausages--salami; sweet, finely seasoned _kielbasa_,
and _serdelki_, beside which, for all-round gastric and olfactory merit, few
sausages are fit to hang.

(Merriam-Webster's date for "kielbasa" is later in the 1930s and OED places
it in the 1950s!--ed.)