Snitz and Knep (1866); Kielbasy (1910); Dago Red (1900)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Nov 7 16:59:23 UTC 2002

SNITZ AND KNEP

   ACCESSIBLE ARCHIVES, in addition to the very important GODEY'S LADY'S
BOOK, has some pre-1871 Delaware/Pennsylvania newspapers.  This should help
me with PA Dutch regional food, but so far it hasn't.
   DARE will have this item, but I have no idea of the date.  John Mariani's
ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK has 1869.

June 1866
Godey's Lady's Book
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Vol LXXII Page 549

SNITZ AND KNEP.  Take of sweet dried apples (dried with the skins on, if you
can get them) about one quart.  Put them in the bottom of a porcelain or
tin-lined boiler with a cover.  Take a nice piece of smoked ham washed very
clean, and lay on top; add enough water to cook them nicely.  About twenty
minutes before dishing up, add the following dumplings.  Dumplings.  Mix a
cup of warm milk with one egg, a little salt, and a little yeast, and enough
flour to make a sponge.  When light, work into a loaf.  Let stand until about
twenty minutes before dinner, then cut off slices or lumps, and lay on the
apples, and let steam through.

KIELBASY

   22 January 1910, A JOURNAL OF OUTDOOR LIFE, TRAVEL, NATURE STUDY,
SHOOTING, FISHING, YACHTING (APS database), Pg. 141:
   The rarefied air of the mountains had sharpened our appetites, and before
putting the rods together B. and I sat down under the shade of a willow to
eat our second breakfast, while old Mikolaj, the forester, enjoyed his
"kielbasy" and vodki a little apart.

DAGO RED

   The RHHDAS has 1906.

   May 1900, OVERLAND MONTHLY AND OUT WEST MAGAZINE (also on MOA?), pg.
0_008:
   The wine, called "Dago red," is of an inferior quality and ostensibly
furnished free, participation in the game only being paid for.

   May 1903, OVERLAND MONTHLY AND OUT WEST MAGAZINE, pg. 363:
   ..."dago red," as the rough claret preferred by the denizens of this
quarter is popularly designated.
(In "The Humbler Restaurants of San Francisco"--ed.)