Geoduck (1882)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Nov 7 20:38:42 UTC 2002

At 3:30 PM -0500 11/7/02, Beverly Flanigan wrote:
>I would guess it was an attempt to represent the American Indian original,
>which may have had either a glottal stop or [x] in the first syllable; both
>are common in many AmInd languages.  So what was a nonnative speaker to do
>when spelling it in English?

I'd have guessed "gooeyduck", as it's pronounced, or perhaps "gweduc"
(avoiding the folk etymology, and retaining something similar to the
Salish original).  But I was wondering whence the "geo-", since it's
not as if the link to the Greek prefix for "earth" is plausible here.
If anything, the relation to "gooey"ness would be more salient (as
well as more Salish).