Geoduck (1882)>McLoughlin

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Thu Nov 7 21:28:38 UTC 2002

There is considerable controversy about the pronunciation of the name of the Canadian-turned-American general superintendent of the Hudson's Bay Company who built Fort Vancouver and has become known as the "Father of Oregon" --John McLoughlin.   For nearly 40 years I have heard almost only McLouFlin (disregard the vowels) and I believe that is the pronunciation that most Portlanders use.  The name of the major street in Portland is, as far as I know, called only  that--I have never heard it called by any other pronunciation (I even remember saying McLouThlin as a kid). However, the folks at Fort Vancouver and the McLoughlin House (as well as one version of the Encyclopedia Americana) say McLouKlin.  One native Portlander ranger did admit to me that she has changed to 'K' since she started working for 'The House.'  I did some readings to try to find out what the good doctor was called when he was alive and it seems that it was 'k.'  How could the pronunciation of one man's name have changed so quickly and extensively?
Fritz

>Some of those named Dougherty use the "Dockerty" pronunciation, which is
>exactly analogous formally (I think) although perhaps not analogous
>historically.

>I would speculate that the spelling was invented following a pronunciation
>on the order of /jugiogeni/ in some local Amerind language. Possibly the
>current pronunciation originated as a spelling pronunciation by analogy
>with "Dougherty" or some other name, or from a Scots spelling pronunciation
>(like /sOx/ for "sough"). This is just off the top of my head; I cannot
>find any authoritative information on this right now.

―> Doug Wilson