Yellow Legs (East Tennesseans, 1857)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 11 20:29:56 UTC 2002

   From THE PLOUGH, THE LOOM, AND THE ANVIL, June 1857, pg. 715:

      _DOTS BY AN EAST TENNESSEAN._
(...)
  It is doubtless generally known that East Tennessee is proverbial for "_sweet-cider and dried apples_," and that her sons are known and called, west of the Mississippi, "_Yellow Legs_."
(...)
   She has been one of my instructors in farming since 1836.  Her lesson on _long food_, commonly called by farmers roughness, during the latter winter months, have, I trust, been of some advantage to me.

(There are several "Yellow Legs" in the DICTIONARY OF AMERICANISMS, but I didn't see "Tennessee."  DARE?..."Long food?"--ed.)