Cochlear Implants: The Death of Sign Language?

Philip Trauring philip at CS.BRANDEIS.EDU
Fri Nov 15 02:35:17 UTC 2002

I have to say that if I had to choose between ending deafness and
losing sign language, I'd end deafness.

Let's not forget that those who are deaf can also not appreciate
music nor hear a car horn (perhaps before an accident).

Also, those who are dumb (is there a more PC term for one who cannot
speak?) will continue to use sign language...

Philip Trauring