"Upset" & other nomenological phenomena

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Tue Nov 19 18:49:34 UTC 2002

> I don't know if there is a rule that a King of England must
> use his first given name, although as far as I know it is
> customary to do so, e.g. Edward Albert Christian George
> Andrew Patrick David became (temporarily) King Edward
> VIII, although he was generally known in private life as
> "David".  On the other hand, Alexandrina Victoria of
> Hanover became Queen Victoria.

George VI, christened Albert Arthur Frederick George and known as "Bertie"
in private life, selected George upon his coronation. Victoria requested
that no future king ever use the name Albert out of respect for her dear
departed husband.

I believe the "rule" is that the monarch can select any one of his or her
given names to rule under.