Black Hand

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Nov 21 17:21:51 UTC 2002

BLACK HAND--The person who supposedly coined "black hand" on the NEW YORK HERALD had a NEW YORK TIMES obituary in 1920.  He had worked on a Brooklyn newspaper before the HERALD. No doubt that he used "black hand" and that he was in the journalism business for 30+ years, but in no way did he coin "black hand."  Strike another one from that article on New York words (from the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, found in the Temple University clippings).

WELLESLEY--I walked all day, passing Babson and Olin colleges, before I found this place.  The college is  nowhere near public transportation.    It's now just after 12, so the archives is closed for lunch...