"Negroni" pre-1950?

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Nov 22 08:47:19 UTC 2002

  Jesse Sheidlower asked about a pre-1950 "Negroni."

THE CRAFT OF THE COCKTAIL
by Dale DeGroff
New York: Clarkson Potter
2002

Pg. 158:
_NEGRONI_
Created in Florence, Italy, in the 1920s, at the Casani Bar, when customer
Count Camillo Negroni asked the barman to add gin to his Americano.  This
drink can be made with vodka in place of gin.
1 ounce Campari
1 ounce sweet vermouth
1 ounce gine
Flamed orange peel (see page 58), for garnish
Combine all the ingredienmts in an iced old-fashioned glass and stir.
Garnish with the flamed orange peel.

   I have tons of 1930s (Post-Prohibition) drink books, and this drink is not
in any one of them that I just went through.  For example, it's not in 1700
DRINKS.   It's not in ESQUIRE'S HANDBOOK FOR HOSTS (1949).  It's not in
Crosby Gaige's drink book of 1944 (that had the "Bloody Mary," for example).
   I'll look around some more, checking the usual databases.  Interesting is
this authoritative book:

TED SAUCIER'S
BOTTOMS UP
New York: Greystone Press
1951

Negrone (Italian aperitif)...176
Negroni Capriccio...176
Negroni Doney...177
Negroni-Ritz of Paris...177

(O.T.:  That's it for helping Sheidlower.  Come this Saturday, he's getting
beans from me.)