High School slang "Don't Know From Nothing" (1933)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Nov 24 02:12:32 UTC 2002

HIGH SCHOOL SLANG (1933)

   There are a few food items here, and one antedate of the RHHDAS.
   From the Temple University clippings files, PHILADELPHIA DAILY BULLETIN, 1
February 1933, pg. 6:

_"GET OFF MY EAR"_
_MAKES 'EM SCRAM_
(...)
   Just in case--here's a brief vocabulary of high school slang:
   All creped up--All dressed up.
   Get off my ear; get out of my hair--Stop annoying me.
   Well, pick me for a sweet pea--Expression of surprise or shock.
   They're blowing it--Teachers are trying to see who can give out the most
homework.
   Didn't make the climb; slipped--Left down, not promoted.
   Shut your garage--Close your mouth.
   You don't know from nothing--You're not very bright.  (RHHDAS has
1934--ed.)
   Yowza--Yes, sir.
   Yea man--Yes man.
   I beg your stuff--I beg your pardon.
   Hot farina!--1933 version of "hot dog!"
   Put me in the jigger for a bum--Expression of lament after saying
something one shouldn't.
   She's on the hike--Girl is making eyes at a boy (or teacher is making eyes
at a teacher).
   He's hitch-hiking it--A boy is "strutting hi stuff" for a girl's
admiration (or a teacher for a teacher's).
   They're ripe--Teachers are ready to spring a test.
   Skeedaddle; skiddle-skaddle--1933 version of scram.
   On the best--Teacher patrolling hall for truants.
   Rub it on for me--Let me copy your homework.
   Palooka--1933 for "sap."
   Fire--Very strict teacher.
   Airplane sandwich--Too much bread, too little filler.  (A "wish" sandwich
in the BLUES BROTHERS movie--ed.)

O.T.:  SOMEBODY PUT ME OUT OF THIS MISERY (continued)

   Here's the "BLOOM SERVICE" story, from the NEW YORK POST, 22 November
2002, pg. 134:

_TOAST OF THE TOWN_
_Mets, Mayor woo Glavine_
(...)
   Mayor Bloomberg spent 30 minutes at lunch with the free agent explaining
how the Big Apple enriches the lives of its residents...

(The Big Apple enriches the lives of its residents??...This was during a free
lunch at the Four Seasons restaurant.  Glavine was being begged to accept $30
million for three years' work.  If he does sign with the New York Mets, he'll
probably live, like New York's David Letterman, in Connecticut--ed.)