Bugs on a Log (1962, 1980)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 27 20:16:30 UTC 2002

   The Donnell Library (West 53rd Street) is still open on Mondays, and David Shulman has been going to it.  I didn't think it had anything I wanted.  Shulman checked out the Children's Room and said I might be interested in the SUBJECT INDEX TO CHILDREN'S MAGAZINES, from 1948.
   I looked under "cooking" and "food" and other entries.  No "sloppy joe" was in the title of an article.  I'm sure it's somewhere, though.  You can't tell everything from, say, a "picnic lunch" title.
   The following two are the closest I came to "ants on a log."

   September 1962, JACK AND JILL, pg. 37:
_Peanut-Butter Specials_
(...)
   _Stuffed Celery_
To prepare an after-school snack, blend four tablespoons of peanut butter with two tablespoons of mayonnaise.  Wash and dry several stalks of fresh celery.  Now spread the peanut-butter mixture very thickly inside the curve of the celery.

   April 1980, HUMPTY DUMPTY, pg. 36:
_Bug on a Log_
(...) (Pg. 37--ed.)
HOW TO FIX:
Celery stalks cut in 5-inch strips
Peanut butter
Raisins
Small carrot slices
WHAT TO MIX:
Fill celery stalks with peanut butter.
Stick two raisins in peanut butter at one end of celery stick so that they look like eyes.
Use a tiny slice of carrot for a mouth and there you have it--a tasty little bug on a log!

(O.T.  HEY, PROQUEST PEOPLE!  WHEN IS _JACK AND JILL_ GOING ONLINE??--ed.)