parmeZHAN and de/not voicing final vowel

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Oct 1 18:45:25 UTC 2002

>Not that I admit to actually renting _The Sopranos_, but pretty
>clearly they've been voicecoached to, among other things, not voice
>the final vowel on words such as parmegiano and prosciutto.
>beth

Right; that's standard in New Haven Italian and Italo-English as well
(aBEETS, muzzarELL, capigol), but what puzzles me is the
de-affricatization on "parmigian-".  Granted, it would be a least
effort phenomenon, but how general is it?  Can I expect "azhita" for
"agita"?  More relevantly, would someone (rather than cheese) who
comes from Parma be called "un Parmi-ZHAN" rather than "un
Parmigian(o)"?  Or is only the cheese that results in the
fricativization of the affricate?

larry