automaticity

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Tue Oct 1 23:19:23 UTC 2002

> I didn't hear General Powell's speech, but I would assume
> that he used the
> term to indicate that same idea of immediacy--and
> appropriateness--when
> responding to a threat (whether direct or indirect) from
> Iraq, for hesitation
> in that case could make Sagan's hypothetical nuclear winter a
> grim reality.

Powell was using in the context of whether there would be one UN resolution
or two. The first option would be to issue one resolution that demands
inspections and authorizes use of "all necessary means" if Iraq didn't
comply. This resolution would have "automaticity."

The other option would be to demand inspections. If Iraq didn't comply, the
Security Council would meet again and decide an appropriate course of
action. This option would not have "automaticity."