Navajo Fry Bread; Zuni Bread

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 4 05:08:12 UTC 2002

NAVAJO FRY BREAD

   The OED revision is getting close,  so I checked to see if it had "Navajo
fry bread."  Nope, not in there.  OED doesn't even have a "fry bread" at all!
   Both DARE and John Mariani's ENCYLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK have
this under "fried bread" or "fry bread."  I'll probably beat DARE's 1950 date
on Saturday.
   With this bread, you can make a "Navajo taco" or "Indian taco."
   Here are the Google numbers:

Navajo fry bread--654 hits
Navajo fried bread--53
Navaho fry bread--24
Indian fry bread--2,540
Indian fried bread--199
Fry bread--9,730
Frybread--2,378
Fried bread--8,350

Navajo taco--601
Indian taco--1,050

ZUNI BREAD

   Not in John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK.  Not in OED.
DARE?
   The important work here is by Frank Hamilton Cushing.  See his "Zuni
Breadstuff," MILLSTONE 9 (1884), nos. 1-12, and 10 (1885), nos. 1-4.  Edition
in book form with introduction by John Wesley Powell, Indian Notes and
Monographs, vol. 8, Museum of American the Indian, Heye Foundation, 1930.
Reprinted 1974.
   It's long and a little difficult to summarize here.