feeling/getting jiggy

Towse self at TOWSE.COM
Sat Oct 5 19:14:54 UTC 2002

I was reading a restaurant review
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/10/04/PN74725.DTL>
in the San Francisco Chronicle (a "special" to the newspaper and
not staff written) when I came across "With entrees, there is
something the rookie should know: Peruvians are unafraid of
starch. They double up, even triple up if they're feeling jiggy."

"Feeling jiggy" in a newspaper? I had the same reaction as I'd
had the first time I saw "dis" in a mainstream publication.

I checked with the ADS-L archives to see how much action "jiggy"
has had and the answer is, not much. Here's the one and only:
"http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0007A&L=ads-l&P=R2460"

I then trundled off to the new Google News feed and popped in
"jiggy". From the assorted news sources Google is covering, there
are fourteen uses in the last thirty days (the time window for
Google News' archives).

Uses range from the San Francisco Chronicle (in the sports
section) to the Guardian, the Miami Herald, Entertainment Weekly
(not unexpected), Rolling Stone (ditto), E Online (double ditto)
and the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

BizReport.com had an entire article devoted to CNN Headline News'
decision to be more hip, titled "CNN News Gettin' Jiggy With da
Jive Talkin'"

Anyone know the origin of "jiggy"?

Sal
--