Monsoon Wedding gesture

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 5 21:33:21 UTC 2002

In the movie "Monsoon Wedding", which takes place in India (I think it is New
Delhi) there is a brief scene in which a woman who is holding a popsicle gets
annoyed by something someone else says, so she responds by holding her
popsicle vertically and jerking it in an upwards direction.

In this context the gesture can easily be interpreted as "up your ass!".

Does anyone know whether this is a common gesture, in India or anywhere else,
and if so what is it usually interpreted as?

Also, at one point the subtitle writers use a word I don't recall ever having
encountered before: "sisterfucker".

               - James A. Landau