Jiggy redux

Towse self at TOWSE.COM
Sun Oct 6 00:03:57 UTC 2002

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> JIGGY--I don't often do rap terms because they're covered in the online Rap
> Dictionary, www.rapdict.com or something like that.

<http://www.rapdict.org/>

I link to it from my site in the wordstuff subsection.

RapDict.org, though, defines "jiggy" as

n) To have a lot of money or riches. "DKNY, oh my I'm jiggy" --
Junior M.A.F.I.A. (Player's Anthem [1995]).

which isn't the way Tom Hanks has used it  "Yeah, you know.
Jiggy. The way you feel when you're on your ninth coffee of the
day. Jiggy. That's what I am."

<http://film.guardian.co.uk/interview/interviewpages/0,6737,421046,00.html>

... nor the way the San Francisco Chronicle restaurant reviewer
used it, nor the way Will Smith used in "Getting Jiggy With It."

Looking further, "jiggy as in get jiggy, be active" is on the
ADS-L Jan 2002 list of words of the year 2001 least likely to
succeed. Not in the archives but on the words of the year list.
Did I miss it in the archives? Is this a fifth possible
definition?

"jiggy" means something else again Down Under, according to the
Macquarie book of slang
<http://www.macquariedictionary.com.au/p/dictionary/slang-j.html>.

Perhaps a word searching for a meaning.

Sal