Does jazz "ax(e)" derive from jazz "chops"?

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 7 02:30:20 UTC 2002

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> I don't have _Jazz Lexicon_ here, only the later _Jazz Talk,_
> which lumps these together in an unhelpful way. In the earlier
> book does he actually claim that the 1947 exemplifies the
> 'skill' sense? I personally think that the 1947 cite clearly
> means 'lip strength' and not 'skill', as does the 1958, but
> the 1962 quote probably does belong to the 'skill' sense (by
> _Jazz Talk,_ at least, Gold seem to think so too).

My recollection is that _Jazz Talk_ is substantially the same book as
_Jazz Lexicon_.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,