Caffe Latte, Prosciutto (1890); Cappuccino, Zucchini, Fagioli (1912)

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Oct 8 08:44:47 UTC 2002

Just a comment -- Barry's findings in the 1890 and 1912 copies of Baedeker's
guides for Italy are very significant, it seems to me.

There are old Baedeker guides around (they are usually red, I think, and
quite compact, as they were for travelers).  I've seen them at tag sales,
used bookstores, and such, and they're cheap.  I can check the few I have
for food term antedatings.  I never thought to do it before.

Thanks again, Barry, for your diligence.

Frank Abate

PS: I think that there were several antedatings of MW and OED because the
diets of the lexos there are too bland.