vocative "bitch"

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Wed Oct 9 22:48:44 UTC 2002

I have never heard anyone use this. I have been at the university and high school over the past 25 years (in both Oregon and Minnesota). I think anyone I have ever come across would be highly offended by being called bitch.  On the other hand, I have heard that some groups DO use this, particularly certain types of rappers--gangsta. The report that it is an Americanism has me a bit worried--it definitely needs to be qualified.
Fritz

This use is moderately common in blue-collar teenage males in
Australia, and is reported to be an Americanism.

I have been told that this practice is found in US biker gangs, and
internationally in-group between homosexuals, both male and female.

In what social domains is this practice known in the US?

Roly Sussex

Roly Sussex
Professor of Applied Language Studies
Department of French, German, Russian, Spanish and Applied Linguistics
School of Languages and Comparative Cultural Studies
The University of Queensland
Brisbane
Queensland 4072
AUSTRALIA