a whole other question

Wendalyn Nichols wendalyn at NYC.RR.COM
Fri Oct 11 01:11:02 UTC 2002

Lifted wholesale from Jesse's answer to this question on his Word of the
Day website in 1996:

The word "nother," which simply means 'other; different', comes from a
misdivision of "an other" or "another. This type of misdivision has several
parallels in English. The word "newt" was originally "ewte" in Middle
English, but the phrase "an ewte" was changed to "a newt." Similarly,
"nickname" was originally "an ekename" ("eke" being an archaic word for
'also' that still pops up from time to time), but was misdivided as "a
nekename." In the other direction, "apron" was once "napron," but "a
napron" was turned into "an apron."

There is evidence for the misdivided "nother" 'other' going back to around
1300. The Oxford English Dictionary describes it as obsolete except in
dialectal use, but the set phrase "a whole nother" is common in the United
States and has been for at least several decades