Doozy

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Fri Oct 11 02:09:14 UTC 2002

Someone queried me regarding "doozy," wondering if it could be from the
Polish "duz`y" or "duz`a," meaning big or large. Spelling and pronunciation
are similar, as are the meanings. The early 20th century appearance is
consistent with Polish immigration patterns to the US. It's probably just a
coincidental similarity, but the query has got me wondering.

Has anyone ever examined this possibility? RHHDAS refers to a 1992 Gerald
Cohen "Comments on Etymology" article about the word, but of course the
brief entry gives no detail about what is contained therein.