"Can I help who's next?"

taylor j cabbagelooper at YAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 15 14:01:36 UTC 2002

I've heard bank tellers in Gainesville, FL saying "Can
I help who's ever next?", in addition to the versions
noted by your daughter. I'm curious: is the "who's
next" variant derived from the "who's ever" (the
'ever' dropped)(this strikes me as unlikely-- why
would anyone generate 's in the middle of a word, even
as an error?) or is the "who's ever next" a blend of
"who's next" and "whoever's next"? Or something else
entirely?

Joanna Taylor